Every working day we help people to resolve disputes over property, assets and income arising from their relationships.

We ask you to complete a simple questionnaire which should give us a good overview of your marriage and the financial consequences of divorce. After the questionnaire has been completed we will arrange a meeting at 36 Bedford Row, in the centre of legal London.

When you meet your barrister he or she will outline the divorce process and the way financial claims are resolved, either by agreement or by court order. Your barrister will then give advice on what might happen in your case. It will be preliminary advice, but from this early stage you will know what is important and have expert opinion on the important issues. We are well placed to give this support and assistance as we have many years’ experience of presenting cases in court. Most of our recent experience has involved those with comparatively large assets.

You can come see us without using a solicitor as we are qualified direct access barristers. At the meeting, we will discuss your options. In most cases the best option would be to instruct a solicitor who would be able to manage your case on a day by day basis. We have experience of working for and against many solicitors. This expert experience enables us to assist you to find solicitors right for your case. Choosing between them, or choosing another option would become your informed decision.

Our service is well suited to people at an early stage of divorce but it may assist others. You might want a second opinion without notifying the solicitors you are using. Another option would be advice on appeal if you do not want to take advice from the lawyers who appeared for you at the hearing. We would be happy to discuss other situations in advance to see whether using a direct access barrister would be sensible.

Some of the areas of work we cover are listed below. Please click on each heading for more information.

Agreements for people who are about to get married or after they have married. The agreement can set out what the parties intend to happen to their finances in the event that their marriage breaks down.

A well negotiated and carefully drafted pre-nuptial agreement can pay for itself many times over by saving a great deal of dispute, acrimony and uncertainty if the marriage does not work. They are not just used by the very rich. Even those with more modest assets find that they are very useful. However, to be effective, the parties need to ensure that they have had the benefit of independent legal advice about the agreement.

Our barristers all have experience of drafting such agreements and also experience of arguing about them in court. We know what will work and what will not work and ensure that the agreement is as sound as it can be.

We also regularly provide advice to one of the parties to such an agreement before that party agrees to sign it. Where it is unfair the barrister can help to renegotiate the proposed agreement.

Also known as Cohabitation Agreements, these are entered into by people who are about to live together, particularly where they intend to share a property which one of them owns or where they intend to buy a property to live in together.

When relationships between unmarried persons break down, resolving the financial consequences of the separation can be very complex, expensive and fraught with uncertainty. A clear and carefully put together agreement either at the outset of the relationship or during it can save tens of thousands of pounds in legal costs in the event the relationship does not work out.

Our barristers regularly negotiate and draft such agreements.

Used by couples (whether married or unmarried) who agree how they want to divide up their assets and who is liable for their debts.

Reaching an agreement and setting out its terms in a clear formal written document means the parties are likely to avoid having to go to court or rack up legal fees in the future.

An injunction is a court order which protects assets when a relationship breaks down so that the assets cannot be transferred or sold until the financial dispute has been resolved.

Injunctions can also be used to protect your personal safety and your confidentiality.

Breach of an injunction can result in imprisonment.

We have experience of representing both the applicant and the respondent in County Courts and in the High Court. We can provide you with urgent advice if necessary.

The court may be asked to decide who should occupy the family home while the financial and property disputes are being resolved. The court may require one party to leave the home, or it may set out rules as to how the parties should share the home.

We often represent parties in applications for ‘occupation orders’ at a preliminary stage in financial proceedings.

Even when the parents of a child are unmarried, it may be possible for one of the parents to obtain financial support and maintenance for the benefit of the child from the other parent.

Such support might include capital for the provision of a home or the payment of school or other education fees, including those incurred beyond the age of 18.

The law permits spouses, civil partners, some unmarried partners, children and other dependants to make claims against the estate of a deceased when the deceased failed to make reasonable provision for them in a will.

There are strict time limits for bringing such claims.

Our barristers have much experience of such cases, as well as other disputes related to trusts and probate.

If a couple cannot agree how to resolve their financial issues when they separate they may require professional help in resolving their dispute. Our barristers can help at each stage of the case by:
– advising on a reasonable settlement;
– advising on tactics to be used in the case;
– helping you obtain the financial disclosure from the other side which is necessary to resolve the dispute;
– negotiating with the other side;
– drafting a final settlement order or agreement.

In the event that agreement cannot be reached the barrister can guide you through making an application to the court and advise and represent you during court hearings.

You and your former partner may find you simply cannot reach agreement but you do not want to go to court. You may have tried negotiation and been to mediation, but to no avail. How can you break the deadlock?

Many people find that they need an independent third party to tell them what is fair. Our barristers can provide that service. So long as the barrister has not acted for either party before both parties may instruct the barrister jointly to provide them with an opinion as to how their dispute should be resolved.

If you agree that the barrister’s conclusion should be definitive and binding this will be an arbitration agreement with the barrister. If you simply want an impartial, but non-binding, opinion from an expert this will be a neutral evaluation. Sometimes both parties may meet with the barrister for a private Financial Dispute Resolution meeting.

If any of these alternatives to going to court is of interest please contact us on a joint basis to discuss it further.

We can offer a confidential and discreet second opinion where you already have a legal team acting for you full-time.

Often parties to a financial dispute following relationship breakdown feel excluded or distanced from the litigation process. An objective second opinion from an expert can provide reassurance that everything is going as it should or it may highlight problems in the approach being taken.